A A A

plugins-topic
Post Rating on Phones
Michael Walden
72 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 24, 2017 - 4:22 pm

Options for post ratings do not seem to appear when using a phone to view the forums. We use the 5 star ratings. Is this by design or something i need to dig into to figure out why?  eek

“I must stop him from being one of those who call themselves good because they have no claws.” ― Irvin D. Yalom, When Nietzsche Wept

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 24, 2017 - 4:53 pm

What Simple;Press theme are you using for the mobile display?

The following users say thank you to Yellow Swordfish for this useful post:

Michael Walden
andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Michael Walden
72 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 24, 2017 - 5:39 pm

D’oh. So the unobservant part of me is feeling the fool at the moment…

I hadn’t activated mobile themes…embarassed

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 24, 2017 - 5:51 pm

You don’t necessarily need to. If you do not then mobile will just use the same theme as desktop. So it still really depends on what theme you are using…?

andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Michael Walden
72 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 24, 2017 - 5:54 pm

We are using the Reboot theme. The only modification I have made is commenting out the line that displays the User Group Memberships that usually display under the profile photo.

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 24, 2017 - 6:08 pm

You are right – it is missing in Reboot mobile. Let mew check things out and I can come back to you with a way to add it back in. Afraid it may now be in the morning however.

andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Michael Walden
72 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 24, 2017 - 6:10 pm

Certainly no rush. One of my site members noticed it. I thought perhaps it was just a “save screen space” design option…

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 25, 2017 - 2:52 am

I think you are correct. Mobile themes do need to leave a few things out simply due to display space and post rating is almost certainly a victim of this. However – if they are important aspects for the user then clearly they should be there.

The problem is it will not fit on the post’s ‘toolbar’ set of icons (if using stars) so this is what I would do personally – although bear in and you can place it wherever you wish in the template.

Open the template spTopicViewMobile.php in the /templates/mobile folder for editing.

Locate the code lines:

sp_SectionEnd('', 'postContent');
sp_InsertBreak();

and immediately below these two lines add the following:

if (function_exists('sp_PostIndexRatePost')) sp_PostIndexRatePost('tagClass=spLabelBordered spPostRating spLeft');

save, close and try it. See what you think…

The following users say thank you to Yellow Swordfish for this useful post:

Michael Walden
sp_Check
This post answers the topic
andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Michael Walden
72 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 25, 2017 - 8:52 am

This works just fine, thank you! I personally think it’s unfortunate, but it appears that more and more users are walking away from desktops and doing everything on their phones… we’re watching the zombie apocalypse begin.wink

Thank you again sir!

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Oct 25, 2017 - 11:36 am

Michael Walden said

You’re absolutely right of course and while I tend to agree with you that it is a shame, I have to admit I find my phone more and more useful and could no longer imagine not taking it with me at all times. Mind you – I am half-deaf and my iPhone is tied to my hearing aids with bluetooth! It means I can watch TV with the volume out and listen to music while out for a walk!

I am supposing that the phone/desktop ratio is tied to age of user… ?

Thank you again sir!

You’re welcome of course. Thanks for pointing it out. The same fix has been applied for the next update.

andy-signature.png