I wanted to share some thoughts we have on how customization of the new Simple:Press theme will work.
The plan is to have a few different levels of customization, going from easy to harder:
1. Changing a few basic settings in the admin panel. The Stockholm theme is made for two accent colours. They are used for links, icons and design elements. They are easily set in the admin along with things like the forum max width.
2. CSS-styling. The easiest way is to set your own CSS-variables, but you could override any CSS you need to by including your own stylesheet or using the stylesheet field in the admin panel.
3. Overriding partial templates. We are trying to extract as much of the theme as possible to small template files composed mostly of html with some php variables for dynamic data. By extending the theme with your own forum theme, any partials you add to your theme will override the default files. This way it is easy to change the html when needed. This is usually a good option if you need to move elements or if you want to add data to the template.
4. Using the provided WordPress hooks and filters. This is probably a good way to go if you have very specific needs and are used to overriding WordPress plugins.
5. Creating your own theme. If you really want to change things up, you could create your own theme. I would recommend that you copy the default theme and start making modifications to it. Before you do this, I would recommend reaching out to our support team to make sure there isn’t an easier way to accomplish your goal.
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions regarding customization of themes.