A A A

Match

Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Forum Login
Lost password?
coding-topic
Remove Login button, Members button, and consider registering message for guests
Beth Terry
52 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 6, 2017 - 4:49 pm

Hi.  I have decided not to allow registrations in my forum.  Everyone must use the forum as a guest.  (Turning off Wordpress registration has significantly reduced site traffic from potential spammers.)

Therefore, I would like the following elements not to be shown:

• Members button
  • The message:  “Please consider registering”

Here is a screen shot of what guests see now.  How can I turn off these features?

Simple-Press-header.JPGImage Enlarger

Beth Terry

Attachments
Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 6, 2017 - 5:08 pm

Curious… We have always found it to be the other way around – it is allowing guests that cause most spam posts. Still…

If registrations are turned off then there should be no login button shown and indeed when I do a test this is the case.

When running the forum as a guest then there should also be no members button and again, when I try this it is the case.

So – did you take that screenshot before you turned registrations off?

andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Beth Terry
52 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 6, 2017 - 5:44 pm

Yes, I took that screenshot after turning off Wordpress registrations in my Wordpress settings.

I do have my own admin membership.  I am the only member in the forum.  But I took that screenshot after logging out.

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 7, 2017 - 4:42 am

Apologies for the delay in getting back. It is most odd as I can not replicate that at all. Can you tell me what SP theme you are using so that I can ensure I test with the right theme? I can do that this morning.

andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 7, 2017 - 5:38 am

Ok – I know now having seen your site from the other topic.

Login Button: Go to the forum admin > components > Login and Registration and turn off the use of the forum logon button/form.

Members Button: Go to the forum admin > Permissions > select whatever permission set is being used as the default for Guests. By default that would be the one named ‘Limited Access’ but you may have changed it. Use the ‘Permission Usage’ button to make sure. Open the set for editing and uncheck the option in the View section to: ‘Can view the members lists’.

While in guest permissions you can also make sure that you have al the others the way you want them. Plus – as you are going for free entry to all – I would strongly advise the use of our Captcha plugin.

The label is a more difficult one and – now it has come to my attention – one that I will get changed for the next update of SP. So you could wait for that or else I can tel you what to edit while you wait for the change. Let me know your reference but it will require an edit to a theme template.

andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Beth Terry
52 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 7, 2017 - 2:28 pm

These instructions worked.  Thanks!

Yes, please do give me instructions for editing the theme template to get rid of “Please consider registering.”  I would love to change it now.

Beth

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 7, 2017 - 3:33 pm

Go to the forum admin > themes > theme editor. Select from the list on the right, the file:

spHead.php

When it loads – find the call to the function:

sp_LoggedInOutLabel()

and comment it out. The easiest way to do this is to put a hash character in from of it so…

# sp_LoggedInOutLabel(….

That will stop it displaying anything at all.

andy-signature.png
YELLOW
SWORDFISH
Beth Terry
52 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 8, 2017 - 4:22 pm

Hi. I’m not finding that function in spHead.php.  Here is all that’s in there:

<?php
# ————————————————————————————–
#
# Simple:Press Template
# Theme : Barebones
# Template : Head
# Author : Simple:Press
#
# The ‘group’ template is used to display the forum header.
#
# This template makes a call to either the desktop or mobile template
# depending on what device the forum is being viewed through.
#
# To edit the head for desktop use- templates/desktop/spHeadDesktop.php
# To edit the head view for mobile use- templates/mobile/spHeadMobile.php
# ————————————————————————————–

global $spDevice;

if ( $spDevice == ‘mobile’ ) {
sp_load_template(‘mobile/spHeadMobile.php’);
} else {
sp_load_template(‘desktop/spHeadDesktop.php’);
}

?>

Beth Terry
52 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 8, 2017 - 4:23 pm

Do I need to look for the function in both the Desktop and the Mobile files?

Yellow Swordfish
Glinton, England

16436 Posts
(Offline)
Mar 8, 2017 - 5:34 pm

I thought that yesterday you were using the ‘default’ theme. If you are, in fact, using ‘reboot’ then yes – you need to look at the spHead…’ template in both the desktop and mobile folders.

andy-signature.png